Progress Report

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Progress Report

Post  NiuHaka on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:44 am

This site has been up for one year and one day so I thought I would post an update for anyone who is interested.

There has been a lot of progress over the last year (at least as far as a hobby is concerned) and I am very happy with what we have so far but we have a lot more fun stuff to do before this is complete. I am aware that it is impossible to see actual visual progress which can sometimes give the impression that the project is at a stand-still. I don't really have plans to change that because doing updates etc only takes time away from making real progress. I have encouraged the A-Team members to not discus current progress or features in any of the public forums and to keep such discussions in the A-Team only forums. Even then most interactions are done through email so those two or three of you who keep looking aren't going to find anything heheh. Even the team members have a hard time seeing progress because I mostly only share info and assets about the aspects which they are working on. No one team member will have access to all parts of the project (That is until I start recruiting mappers). I do this to help prevent leaks and even if/when there are leaks they will only be small portions of the project. As the project founder the last thing I want is for these assets to get out and for someone else to release versions of my own work before I do.

Future progress updates (i.e., screenshots) will be done for the purpose of encouraging creative people to join the team. This means that the screenshots won't necessarily depict any level of progress but instead to show the quality of work that is being put into the project.

We have worked out a few kinks and have paved the way for easier asset creation and conversion. Things are beginning to move more smoothly now and I hope it is easier to create assets for the project and for the community to create custom maps and mods.

The project is alive and healthy and I hope it will be around for at least a few more years. So if you have any questions feel free to ask in these forums or by email to niuhaka@doomascension.com or mtatafu@doomascension.com. Note that there are currently no plans for modders to have early access to assets.

If you are interested in joining the team contact us at join@doomascension.com

Here's to another fantastic year of Doom Ascension progress and secrecy /ninjaface

-NiuHaka

Last edited by NiuHaka on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://doomascension.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Progress Report

Post  bcwood16 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 am

Good stuff Smile

I know the project is far from dead and I know its looking fantastic too! YAY
bcwood16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hecito on Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:33 pm

Holy cow! The website got a huge makeover. It looks pretty cool...
Hecito

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001963477762

Back to top Go down

Post  NiuHaka on Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:21 pm

It is still a work in progress. I hope to have the "features" pages done this month but I am finishing some 3d weapons before I take the screenshots for those pages and i'm not exactly sure when those will be finished.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Progress

Post  alexitoplayer on Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:41 pm

How's the project?
Is there anything interesting to say?
alexitoplayer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bcwood16 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:17 am

alexitoplayer wrote:How's the project?

alexitoplayerHow's the project?

Hi alexittoplayer,

The project is still going, NiuHaka is working on some new monster models! Basically with improvements to the Doomnsay Engine and some needed model limitations removed we should be able to make some much better looking monsters. Hopefully I should be converting those soon and once we have them working in game maybe NiuHaka will show some screenies to the outside world? I also think weapons are going nicely too, we have a fully working pistol....which is very cool!

So as usual, it seems quite, but assets are being made and even some map assets are underway which is bringing the environments much more interesting and more modern looking.

Its all fantastic stuff!

Baz
bcwood16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NiuHaka on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:15 am

Yes, what bcwood16 said. I always say i'm going to post updates but never do. Let me say it this way- I might be posting some assets in the next couple of months lol

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

hey, anyone there?!

Post  alexitoplayer on Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:50 pm

I know it's very difficult to upload images of progress.
can at least give a written advance?
alexitoplayer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NiuHaka on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:18 am

It is still cooking and I am almost ready for some updates.

Gotta get some new stuff in before i'm ready to prep some screens.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

HELLO. :)

Post  alexitoplayer on Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:01 pm

The project is still alive?
alexitoplayer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bcwood16 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:04 am

Hello!

It is indeed still going Smile

To be honest I have not had much contact with NiuHaka recently because I my self have been busy with life and Xmas coming up etc and I also think NiuHaka has been very busy with deadlines for other projects and stuff (correct me if I'm wrong NiuHaka). However, I did see a progress update not long back and the new assets have been very awesome! They are not quite ready to be converted to Doomsday yet so I have been unable to get my greedy hands on them for model conversion etc. However, in the eager participation of such good things to come I have been messing about with conversion processes and testing things out to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible. The new models are going to be quite a bit more complicated to get in game, but will be worth it!

Once some of these new models are in game I expect NiuHaka will post some updates, as for a time line....I don't know, but I'm guessing early next year now?

Im sure NiuHaka will add more to this once he reads this.

Thanks for hanging about and showing support, but remember this project has along way to go yet and its only a hobby.....so its not being rushed! Though I appreciate peoples eagerness to see screen shot goodies Smile
bcwood16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NiuHaka on Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Yep, still alive.

And, yes, bcwood16 is correct. I have a crazy amount of deadlines and milestones i have to keep with other projects which has moved a lot of progress back for Doom Ascension.

Hey bcwood16, I just sent you an email by the way.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kracov on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:33 am

NiuHaka, hello long time no talk. I wonder if you've already done the Cacodemon's model? I just got into 3D modeling and I have something you might want to use: http://i.imgur.com/Y5DZUbl.jpg
Kracov

View user profile http://kracov.org

Back to top Go down

Post  bcwood16 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi Kracov,

That looks awesome! If you are only just getting into 3D modelling than thats a sweet start!

Though unless thats bump mapped, it has alot of triangles and most likely way over the MD2 model limitation of 2048 vertices thats Doomsday engine uses. There is a way to combine multiple MD2 models together to form one big mesh, but consideration needs to be made were two models meet. Also, dont know if you are aware of the MD2 model vertices swimming effect? With too many vertices close to one another it will look like the model is made of water. Having said that that particular demon floats about and has no walking animation, but I guess the shooting and death animations will be effected by vertices sway during animation.

Personally I think that would be awesome in Doom 3!! With some nice bump mapping and texture work that would look incredible in Doom 3 and bring back that original look, with a bit of modern scariness...if that made sense lol!

Fantastic work though Smile

bcwood16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NiuHaka on Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:58 pm

Oh my gosh! I have somehow turned off alerts for new forum postings and I completely missed this.

I do in fact have a cacodemon model. Your's is really cool though. What program are you using for your models?

But yes, everything bcwood16 just said is true. It looks like that model has way too many triangles for the md2 format. There are tricks you can pull using lots of sub-models but you would still end up with performance issues.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top